Sunday, March 20, 2011

& I'll Be Singing, "I Did It My Way..."


     Frank Sinatra's memorable melody, “My Way” tells the story of a man whose life is approaching its end. He is certain that he lived his life genuinely and despite problems that arouse he kept his integrity and took responsibility for how he spent the years.

     This song has always intrigued me. When I was quite young, my dad had a karaoke CD made of him singing tunes like Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Great Balls Of Fire”, Tanya Tucker’s “Delta Dawn” and Sinatra’s “My Way”. My father's voice, coupled with these great hits, sounded amazing and I delighted in listening to his CD daily.

     “My Way” was by far my favorite song. It was a lyrical masterpiece, line by line telling a story. Though it is somewhat melancholy, it’s also very real. The song illustrates the life of someone whose existence wasn't perfect but it was meaningful and true. The song is so peaceful. It brought me serenity knowing that no matter how someone lives, as long as they do things that make them happy, and they don’t hold onto misery, they can be content in the end. And this song still gives me peace of mind. Many others, including, Dorothy Squires, Elvis Presley and Sid Vicious have attempted to recreate the magic of “My Way” but no one does it like Sinatra.

Take-A-Listen




No comments:

Post a Comment