Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall...

      So, I've got kind of an obsession with mirrors. Not because I'm conceited and I like staring at myself all day, but because I like looking at them. Mirror's are just interesting. They come in so many shapes, sizes, designs and colors. They expose an alternate way of seeing the world.  Mirror's add dimension to a room, making the space open and endless. Mirror's are probably a strange item to love but I do, I do, I do.

     I'll be moving to California in less than a month and my brother and I will be getting an apartment together. I'm thrilled that I'll be able to decorate our place and I have so many ideas. I'll surely purchase a few mirrors to embellish our walls with. My boyfriend and I have lived together in his house for over four years. He never discouraged me from adorning his home with my artistic flare but it never seemed appropriate to move around his furniture and start drilling holes in his walls to hang my paintings and portraits.

     Now, I'm heading off to California. My boyfriend and I will no longer be an item. This is both a sad and needed truth. I love him very much but we want very different things in life. I'm ready for adventures and risks. He's content with stability and routine. I grew up moving around the U.S., I've called many places home and have never been a fan of staying in one place for too long. Our relationship has carried on for nearly five years and since I love him so much I shunned my desire to travel and move around the way I always wanted. Now, I can no longer ignore my inherent traveling bone.

     When I hold a mirror up to my life it becomes quite obvious that I'm not in the fairest place of all. Southwest Florida, despite its sunny appeal, is a ecologically flat and economically deflated locale. There's nothing worthwhile to do here. Sure, the beach is right around the corner and the warm weather allows me to wear my cutest clothes year-round, but other than that there's no excitement. The population consists of the super-tan and the super-old. I am neither.

     I lived in California for nearly ten years and did the majority of my growing up there. There's no place that compares to the most western state in our union. It's plain beautiful. The bay area is brimming with diversity and creativity. & I cannot wait to hold up a mirror to my new home and see that it reflects who I am and who I want to be.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that Hawaii is the most western state in our union. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog.
    New follower.I loved that also followed!
    Kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete